Community-created extended gallery user guide

A forum for discussing possible new features or changes to netPhotoGraphics. But NOTE, only a formal request via the GitHub repository ticket system is tracked or responded to.
Mates-K1

Community-created extended gallery user guide

Post by Mates-K1 »

Because NPG can do it more and more and I believe that new administrators would appreciate the extended user manual to cover as much of the gallery's features and functions as possible. Perhaps this guide would also be appreciated by existing users to expand their gallery knowledge. It is not technically possible to explain everything in the gallery in a tooltips.

Stephen opened this idea in one of the tickets when I didn't know the exact function of one of the plugins. He himself adds:
What is really needed is user collaboration on a user manual. I can advise and explain to such a group, but writing it myself as the developer is destined to fall short. I simply know to much to ask the right questions.

So are there some of us who would go into creating a more detailed guide? Some of us who will ask Stephen about the right questions? ... For Stephen to have more time to programming, adding new features we asked, to have more time to his family and to spend less time explaining functions to newcomers?
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Re: Community-created extended gallery user guide

Post by stephenbillard »

The source for the current user guide is kept in the DevTools repository (user guide.docx.) We can use that repository to manage any updates to the document.
-Stephen
Mates-K1

Post by Mates-K1 »

Well... the community is really excited about this. :lol:

So... I think I will start slowly... I will translate another plugins and their descriptions. If it is not clear from the description you have already written, I will try to extend it and add it.

Can I make new thread where I ask you questions?
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

We can just use this thread. Then maybe it will generate some excitement!
-Stephen
Mates-K1

Post by Mates-K1 »

Ok. :)

I cant translate plugin descriptions, for example in auto_backup:
This plugin provides a facility to periodically run the backup utility. Use it to insure that database backups are done on a regular basis. etc...
Can you make it possible?

In description of this plugin (auto_backup) please add short text with information about where are backup stored (I know this information is on plugin page, but I think it is better to have it here too for newcomers).
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

The "Info" descriptions of the plugins are not code but are comment blocks. This they are not (anc cannot) be used with gettext. But that should not be an issue since there is a google translate selector as part of the info display.
2019-03-17 16_09_59-Dev Admin_ podpora Plugins Admin.png
2019-03-17 16_09_59-Dev Admin_ podpora Plugins Admin.png (111.65 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
The autobackup plugin does not actually do the backup--instead it runs the normal backup utility. I do not wish to duplicate documentation for that utility as it becomes a maintenance nightmare. There is a long standing adage about duplicated data. One is bound to be wrong and it won't be easy to figure out which that is.

But I will add to the description that the plugin makes use of the backup utility to execute the backups.
-Stephen
Mates-K1

Post by Mates-K1 »

Ok, google translate this quite well.

There is one typo - "Inacative" - in description.

Ok then please just change description in backup utility to be more clear, where are backups stored.
Now:
The backup facility creates database snapshots in the backup folder of your installation.

I suggest:
The backup facility creates database snapshots in the zp-data/backup folder of your installation.
Mates-K1

Post by Mates-K1 »

I think page with db backup and restore utility can be a little bit clearer.
My suggestion is add header before each part.

DB info is OK.

Row 1: "Database backup" header
Row 2: compression level
Row 3: button
Row 4: space (free row)
Row 5: text "The backup facility creates database..."

next:
Row 1: "Database restoration" header (is it correct in english? :roll: )
Row 2: "Select...."
Row 3: dropdown menu
Row 4: space (free row)
Row 5: "select tables...."
Row 6: button
Row 7: space (free row)
Row 8: text "You restore your database by..."
Last edited by Mates-K1 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mates-K1

Post by Mates-K1 »

And... forum says in your post:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

Are you logged in to the forum when you try to view the image? I did see that when i was not logged in. So far I have not been able to find out where that is controlled for "guest" users. But when logged in as a normal user I can see the image.

I found the setting. Have to let guests "download attachments." Not exactly intuitive.
-Stephen