Unsubscribe link in mailing list email

A forum for discussing possible new features or changes to netPhotoGraphics. But NOTE, only a formal request via the GitHub repository ticket system is tracked or responded to.
Eddie

Re: Unsubscribe link in mailing list email

Post by Eddie »

For sure I do no wish to create a different script. The one you created is awesome. Thanks so much for it! I just wish to hide the navigation bar, that's all. I thought css was going to do the trick but noticed that the best way was via a small code of javascript in the subscription page. Can I somehow put the subscription file in my theme so its not overwritten on updates?
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Maybe I am asking for too much, I hope you are still ok with my comments.
Can't you make a multilingual field for text so you can input your own text? Seems more flexible
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

I cannot reproduce this. But there is a new version that will be available shortly that adds groups to the mailing list among other things, so we can delay action to see if the problem still exists on that version.
-Stephen
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

The new version is up. Give it a try.
-Stephen
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

This is brilliant. You rock! It does work correct now. I can remove the users unsubscribe as an admin. One question I have is that the list of emails is quite messy. What is the order? Can it be alphabetical?
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

The order of the users is the order in which they were created. That could be sorted, but what should the sort be on? The e-mail or the user name (which might not be present.) Also, any sorting by name would sort based on the first name. It could also separate the users from the groups.
-Stephen
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

Took a look at the sorting. The presentation suggests that the sorting should be by userID. Of course still separate groups from users.
-Stephen
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

Eddie wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:38 pm I just wish to hide the navigation bar, that's all. I thought css was going to do the trick but noticed that the best way was via a small code of javascript in the subscription page. Can I somehow put the subscription file in my theme so its not overwritten on updates?
By far the simplest means of doing this is as I suggested--making a custom mailform with a link to your custom script. The script can be in your theme is you wish. The other alternative is to create a plugin that registers a handler for the admin_head filter. that filter can insert whatever JS you want into the page. Of course you need to test to be sure that the page being displayed is the subscription page.
Can't you make a multilingual field for text so you can input your own text? Seems more flexible
If you just want translations of the text that will happen. (But of course someone has to make the updates to the translation files.) If you want your own text then you need the custom script discussed above.
-Stephen
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I'd say the sorting would be way better on just alphabetical order on first name. A lot easier if searching.
he script you are talking about seems to complex for my skills. Thanks though. In any case I much appreciate the changes you made so far!
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

I'm not sure I like the sorting by name.

equalUser (equal@user.com)
testArgon2id (test@Argon.com)
❌ phpDefault ("Jerry Default, PhD" <php@default.com>)
newGuy ("New Guy III" <new@guy.com>)
xxx@yyy.com ("reg" <xxx@yyy.com>)
xxxxx@yyy.com ("Registering" <xxxxx@yyy.com>)
stephen.billard@aya.yale.edu ("Stephen Billard" <stephen.billard@aya.yale.edu>)
stephen.billard@gmail.com ("Stephen L Billard" <stephen.billard@gmail.com>)
xyzzy@1234.com ("test policy" <xyzzy@1234.com>)
u1 ("U One" <U@one.com>)

This is how my test site looks with that strategy. I don't really see that it is any easier to locate someone. Sorting by userID at least makes the list look regular:

equalUser (equal@user.com)
newGuy ("New Guy III" <new@guy.com>)
❌ phpDefault ("Jerry Default, PhD" <php@default.com>)
stephen.billard@aya.yale.edu ("Stephen Billard" <stephen.billard@aya.yale.edu>)
stephen.billard@gmail.com ("Stephen L Billard" <stephen.billard@gmail.com>)
testArgon2id (test@Argon.com)
u1 ("U One" <U@one.com>)
xxx@yyy.com ("reg" <xxx@yyy.com>)
xxxxx@yyy.com ("Registering" <xxxxx@yyy.com>)
xyzzy@1234.com ("test policy" <xyzzy@1234.com>)
-Stephen