Community-created extended gallery user guide

A forum for discussing possible new features or changes to netPhotoGraphics. But NOTE, only a formal request via the GitHub repository ticket system is tracked or responded to.
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Re: Community-created extended gallery user guide

Post by stephenbillard »

I have implemented the changes you suggest in the backup utility. It may be awhile before I merge these with the main release, I am working on some other things as well. If you want to view the changes they will be in my DEV repository. But this should be considered an experimental release for now.
-Stephen
Mates-K1

Post by Mates-K1 »

Many thanks. Backup and restoration looks much more better. :P

accessThreshold plugin description typo - "data for the Newtork is grouped"

PDF user guide in your DEV - file is with revisions
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

Many thanks. I will probably not respond here to each correction to minimize traffic. You can see the updates on the DEV repository.

I will have to remember to create new PDFs of the user manual when it changes. Wish there were an automated way to do that.
-Stephen
Mates-K1

Post by Mates-K1 »

Ok. I will try to be more compact too.

bxslider_thumb_nav
  • speed parameter - how this is used? I think thumb slider does not use any speed, does it?
  • placing printThumbNav() on your theme's image.php (sentence from description) - I think biggest pain for me some time ago and for standard user, which dont know nothing about PHP. If I follow the instructions exactly I place printThumbNav() to theme code, but it does not work. I need insert <?php printThumbNav(); ?>. Can be this extended entry in plugin decription? Novice and advanced user understand it.
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

speed parameter - how this is used? I think thumb slider does not use any speed, does it?
According to the option description and the bxslider website: Slide transition duration (in ms)
placing printThumbNav() on your theme's image.php (sentence from description) - I think biggest pain for me some time ago and for standard user, which dont know nothing about PHP. If I follow the instructions exactly I place printThumbNav() to theme code, but it does not work. I need insert <?php printThumbNav(); ?>. Can be this extended entry in plugin decription? Novice and advanced user understand it.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to insert a course in PHP programming into these descriptions. Whether you need to encase the printThumbNav() within the <?php ... ?> delimiters depends upon where in the theme the slider is desired and on the code of the plugin in that area. You need the delimiters if the insert is within HTML code, not if it is within PHP code. That is simply something you must learn if you wish to customize themes.
-Stephen
Mates-K1

Post by Mates-K1 »

According to the option description and the bxslider website: Slide transition duration (in ms)
Well, I think sliding efect is not used for thumbs - description says plugin is used only for thumbs, not for images, so it lacks meaning. I didn't notice that the thumbs were moving. :|
Unfortunately, it is not possible to insert a course in PHP programming into these descriptions... That is simply something you must learn if you wish to customize themes.
I know, you cant provide PHP course (I need some :mrgreen: ). In user guide in "Your own specical site" we say to users: If you want your own special site you can create it but you will need some programming skills. NETPHOTOGRAPHICS is implemented in PHP and JavaScript. The software makes extensive use of objects, so familiarity with object oriented programming may also be useful.

I recommend expand it including (or something like that):
For example if there is in the description of the plugin: Place printThumbNav () on your theme's image.php where you want it to appear. you need to know it's not enough place only printThumbNav () to code, but you have to integrate it into the HTML source code using <?php printThumbNav(); ?>. Of course, for use in PHP, the code will look different.

I know that maybe it sounds like for a complete fool, but this information might help me in the beginning.

In contrast of this - description of scriptless-socialsharing plugin: Usage: Place <?php ScriptlessSocialSharing::printButtons();?> on your theme files where you wish the buttons to appear.
stephenbillard
Site Admin

Post by stephenbillard »

I will have to look further at the Bxslider speed. Your suggestion for the user guide sounds reasonable. Please update and expand as you see fit. Your experience with the learning process should provide good ground rules for new users.
-Stephen
Mates-K1

Post by Mates-K1 »

OpenStreetMap plugin
  • Cluster radius - please add unit to description.
  • There is not how to add map to theme. Please add it to description (

Code: Select all

printOpenStreetMap();
    ).